- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- ¼ cup sliced onion
- 2 Tbs. curry powder
- 3 lb. boneless lamb, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 salam leaves
- 5 pieces of jeruk purut, or 5 square inches of lemon peel
- 5 cups coconut milk
- 4 cups rice, rinsed well in cold water
- 1 cup reserved lamb sauce
- Aluminum foil
- In a blender, make a paste of the water, sugar, salt, garlic, onion and curry powder. Put the lamb in a large saucepan, and pour this sauce over it. Cook for ten minutes over medium heat; then add the salam, jeruk purut and 2 cups of the coconut milk. Cook for about one hour or more, or until the lamb is soft. There should he about 1 cup of sauce remaining in the pan; reserve it.
- In a large saucepan, combine the rice with the reserved lamb sauce and the remaining 3 cups coconut milk. Bring to a boil, and stir several times. Turn off the heat, cover the pan and allow the rice to absorb the liquids for fifteen minutes. Place the rice on a square of aluminum foil in a Chinese-style steamer, and steam for twenty minutes to complete the cooking.
- To serve, put the lamb in the center of a large serving platter and cover it completely with a mound of the steamed rice.
*The recipe makes 8 servings, with other dishes