8 tbl oil
8 tbl oil
4 garlic cloves peeled and sliced
1 1/2 lb minced or ground beef
2 med shallots minced
1 med onion halved and sliced
2 tbl chopped Chinese celery leaves
1 tbl curry powder
1 green onion stalk finely sliced
Salt to taste
Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
2 cup white flour (unbleached preferred)
3 tbl oil 3/4 cup water
1 pch salt
- Prepare the dough first by combining all dough ingredients and kneading them into an oily elastic dough. Cover and leave at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Divide into 4 and roll each piece into a ball. Pull out with lightly oily hands on an oiled or marble surface to make a large thin circle.
- While dough is resting, make the filling. Hear oil and saute garlic and shallots for a few seconds. Add ground beef and stir-fry over medium-high heat until the meat changes color. Add onion and celery leaves and continue stir-frying for another 2 minutes. Add curry powder, mix well and cook another 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To finish it up, divide the cooked filling among 4 bowls. Add 1 egg, green onion, salt and pepper to each bowl and mix well.
- Heat a large heavy frying pan or griddle with 2 tablespoons oil. When it is hot, put the thin circle dough at the middle of the griddle, and fill the center of the dough with the filling mixture.
- Spread it to side lightly, then fold in the sides and ends to completely enclose the filling envelope fashion.
- Fry on the griddle until golden brown on one side, turn and fry the other side. Cut into pieces and serve, if desired, with vegetables pickles and sliced chilies.
- This recipe yields 4 martabak.