- 1½ cups glutinous powder
- ¾ cup lukewarm water
- 2-3 drops green food coloring
- 8 tsp. grated Java dark brown sugar
- 1 cup fresh-grated coconut, mixed with ½ tsp. salt
- Mix the rice powder with the lukewarm water and green food coloring into a firm but flexible dough.
- Pull off one full teaspoon of the dough and shape it into a ball with approximately 1-inch in diameter.
- Push a finger into the center of the ball to make a hole, and put in approximately ½ tsp. of the grated sugar. Seal, and roll it back into the ball shape with the palms of your hands. Prepare all the balls and set them aside.
- Prepare a pot half filled with water and bring it to a boil.
- Drop the balls into the boiling water. Remove the balls with a spoon once they float to the water surface and then roll the balls in the grated coconut.
- Serve at room temperature.
*This recipe makes 30 rice balls.