300 gr. beef brisket, cut into 2 cm cube
2 bay leaves
4 kaffir's lime leaves
1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
2 cm galangal (laos), bruised
salt and pepper to taste
6 glasses of water (1.5 liters)
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
Spice Paste Ingredients:
4 small shallots
2 cloves garlic
3 kluwek, take out the nut meat only
2 red chilies
100 gr. short beansprouts
- Heat 2 Tbs. oil and stir-fry the spice paste for a minute or two.
- Add bay leaves, kaffir's lime leaves, galangal, lemongrass, salt and pepper. Stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add the beef cubes and stir fry for a minute.
- Meanwhile, heat water in a large pot and add the stir-fried beef cubes and cook on low heat until the meat is tender and flavor of the spices have been absorbed.
- If the water level dropped too much, add hot water.
- Serve with beansprouts and basil
*This recipe makes 3-4 servings.